Let's get your data migrated.
The data import feature has been designed to help you migrate existing matter, contact, invoicing, task, note data and more into Actionstep. Follow the instructions below to learn how to use this feature.
Best Practices (MUST READ)
- Actionstep's team cannot do the import on your behalf. While we are certainly happy to answer questions you may have, our team cannot complete the import for you, or walk you through every step of the process. If you would like professional assistance, you can certainly reach out to one of our certified consulting partners and they will be able to work very closely with you to ensure the import process is completed smoothly.
- Use Actionstep's Import templates (linked further down in the article). Actionstep's data-mapping feature will have a much easier time matching up the columns if you use our provided templates. Simply bring your data over into these templates and Actionstep will map the columns without you having to change much at the data mapping stage.
- Import only a couple of records to begin with. If you manage to make a mistake with the data import, it can be a mission to fix. As such, we strongly recommend that you first import with only a couple of lines of data. This way, it is much easier to delete these imported records and try again.
- Data Rollbacks only work if you haven't edited the imported data. If you get the import wrong, we have a matter rollback feature to reverse this import. This feature will not work if you have edited the data in Actionstep after you have completed the import. As such, we recommend doing a check of the imported data immediately after the import to ensure that all looks correct. This way, you will have certainty that you can rollback without issue.
Data Import Process
Importing Matters, Contacts & Parties
This is the beginning of the import process and this will form the foundation that will allow you to import other matter data. The order of the Data Import Process is as follows:
1. Import Contacts
2. Import Matters
3. Import Parties
The parties import is the step that will link the imported contacts to their relevant matters. At this point, you will have matters and their relevant contacts in Actionstep.
Importing Additional Data
After you have imported contacts, matters and parties, you can go ahead and begin to import more information to these existing matters.
Let's Carry Out an Import of Test Data
Firstly, here are the import templates for the basic matter data sets:
The process to import this data is:
1. Download, Read & Edit the Import Templates
These Excel files are preconfigured to include data that you can import as dummy data. Each file has a row which explains what these columns refer to, and how to format the data. Get familiar with the fields listed here.
"Save As" to create another copy of this file and delete row 2 of the Excel file. This will allow you to import without the system trying to import the instruction row at the same time.
2. Upload file
Once you've read these templates, go ahead an import them directly into the Actionstep Import tool (found in Admin > Import Data).
3. Field Map page
Map the columns from the Excel file to the Actionstep database.
In the right-hand column, it will ask you what format some of the fields are being imported in. Simply select the correct format for the data file that you are importing, i.e. in the image below, you can Import the "Company/Individual" field as a True/False or a Full name field.
Once happy with this, click Next.
4. Data Matchup
At this step, Actionstep has identified possible matches and will ask you to confirm that they are correct. Simply check that the data records in the two columns match. If not, adjust the right column so that the data is matched correctly.
Click 'Next' through the process.
5. Confirm import
'Begin import process'
6. Review completed import
After the import is complete, it will tell you if the import has been successful or not.
If unsuccessful, you can download a .csv file to evaluate what failed in the import process. The last column on this .csv file is the one that will tell you what caused the import to fail.
The data rollback is the functionality to delete data that you've just imported. The data rollback can only be completed if you have not manually updated any of the data after an import has been completed. As such, we recommend that you check the imported data immediately by going into Contacts or Matters in Actionstep.
|If you're after more extensive assistance, you can certainly get in touch with one of our Certified Consulting Partners, who provide hand-held assistance for a fee. They are well worth the cost if you have specific requirements or need some more in-depth assistance. Simply reach out to get a quote.|