Electronic batches are only supported for Australian and New Zealand customers.
The Batch Payment functionality gives the user the ability to prepare a batch which will create a file to import into their banking software. Saving time on entering transactions into the bank. These files can be used to pay creditors, direct debits for client payments, and for payroll payments.
There are three steps to allowing for Electronic batches to work in your system
- Create an Electronic Payments Account (EPA)
- Set which bank accounts will use Electronic batches
- Enter bank accounts and payment details on your contacts
You only need one electronic payments account in your chart of accounts
Creating an Electronic Payment Account (EPA)
- Go to your Master accounts list
- Add in a bank account
- Name it something obvious - like "Electronic Payments" or "Electronic Batch" .
Then link the account to the division accounts list and specify that it is for Electronic Payments by ticking the box and saving.
Your accounts list will now show the account as an Electronic Payment Account
Set the batch file format each bank account
For every bank account that you have in your general ledger (Accounts List) you can choose if it is to use electronic batches.
Find that record in your Accounts list by clicking on the bank details to the right of that entry (Accounting > Accounts > Accounts List > Click on the link to the right of the applicable bank account).
Under the Electronic banking section, enable the function for that bank account.
Choose the applicable file format that your bank will support. For New Zealand customers, select your bank from that list. For Australian customers, choose "ABA Direct".
For Australian customers, there is one more step. You must record the ABA number for your bank. Please ask your bank what this might be.
Once you have it, open the contact record you have for your bank in Actionstep, edit it and under the ABN # field, enter the banks ABA number.
Set up Bank Account details in the Contact records of the people you will be paying
- The bank account details will need to be added to the required contacts. Contact > Accounting Settings
- This information is held at a divisional level, so if you are part of a divisionalised database the contact record bank details are only for the use of that contact when used in your division.
- Payroll information is related to the Employee record rather than the Contact record.
- If you do not update the contact record and no Bank Account number is available for the Electronic payment it can be updated in your batch and this will back-fill to the contact record - this is particularly useful when you start using the Electronic Payments as it means to accounts can all be loaded in one hit.